Great sign-up bonus. Great card.
Amex just upped the sign-up bonus for the Amex Starwood Preferred Guest Card to 20,000 Starpoints after spending $500 on it.
We haven’t written too much lately on cards but this bonus is worth getting.
This may not seem like much to most people as many of you might not know what Starpoints are or how much they are worth, but this sign-up bonus in our opinion is THE BEST SIGN UP BONUS OUT THERE.
I have been following this for about 4 years and writing about it over a year now and am confident when I say, “This card is awesome.”
There is a $120 annual fee which they don’t waive, but TOTALLY WORTH IT.
I have written much about SPG points over the past year.
It goes on.
So rather than me repeating all I have said, let me just give you 2 scenarios.
First one – you get the card yourself.
You spend $1000 on it – you have 21,000 Starpoints.
What can you do with those points?
1. 7 nights in Starwood Hotels for free in many of their Four Points and Sheratons (Cat. 2 awards are 3000 points on weekends.)
2. 2-3 nights in Starwood Hotels that are nicer and higher categories. (Cat 3 – 7000, Cat. 4 – 10,000)
These hotels generally go for $175-$350 a night.
The “value” is in booking the Cat. 2 hotels as you are getting about 7 nights for free in hotels worth anywhere from $100 – $150 a night or more!
3. Transfer points to an airline Partner – you will get a 25% bonus on airline partners like Avios and Aeroplan so you end up with about 26,000 airline points.
That is enough for one person to go anywhere in Continental US or Canada (25,000 Aeroplan)
That is enough for 3 people to go on a short haul flight on American Airlines or US Air (through BA using Avios – need 27,000 points so spend a bit more)
That’s all fine and dandy, but it gets better in Scenario 2 – you get the card yourself and refer your partner.
You both spend $1000 on it. You end up with 31,000 points and your partner has 21,000 points.
So…52,000 Starpoints between you.
1. 17 nights in Cat. 2 hotels. 17!!!
2. 5-7 nights in Cat. 3-4 hotels. This part gets better because after you stay 4 consecutive nights in a Cat. 3 hotel or higher you get a free night added on!
You could actually do a 5 night vacation on the beach in Florida, spend 28,000 points and have 24,000 points left. You are close to doing that 5 nights on the beach twice, FOR $240 total!
Again, that is 2 five day vacations in Beach Front hotels for $240.
3. Transfer points to an airline partner. – you would get more than 60,000 airline miles.
That is 2 flights anywhere in Con. US and Canada with Aeroplan (50,000 miles)
That is 3 medium haul flights using Avios. ie. Detroit/Toronto – Miami, Tampa etc.(54 – 60,000 miles)
That is 6 short haul flights using Avios ie. Detroit/Toronto – NYC, Philadelphia, Washington DC (54,000 miles)
Go back and look at what you get for $120. That is simply buying your hotel nights or flights in advance for a small fraction of what they actually cost. You may or may not like Amex, but that is a great bonus.
After thinking about this for awhile I realized I could put a picture up of how good a deal this really is.
If you and your partner both got the card you could pool your Starpoints in a “Family Account” and have the 52,000 points.
I picked 1 hotel in Ft. Lauderdale on the beach to show how good this is. There are many other examples you could find.
This deal is for 6 nights in The Westin Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort
1. Use your 50,000 points. Cost – $120 + $120 = $240 total
2. Pay Cash – total cost – $2324 US or about $2500+ CDN
I am not kidding – you just saved over $2000 in hotel stays getting that card.
Hence the title of this post – “Great sign up bonus. Great card”